Considering splashing out on a Cordoba ukulele?Read on for our thoughts and review of this brand of uke.
The Cordoba Guitar Company has been around since 1997, and built up a nice following in a fairly short time. The company specializes in making acoustic guitars, and it boasts both high quality work and craftsmanship. Cordoba has diversified to now produce a wide range of ukuleles. The ukes are made available for beginner and seasoned players alike. The buyer has the option of choosing any of the standard uke sizes: soprano, tenor or baritone size.
General Features and Specifications
- Materials are made from high quality wood- generally Koa wood. There are also models that make use of mahogany materials for the back and sides of the unit. The combination of 2 or more wood materials contributes to the ukulele’s good tone and overall playability.
- Durable – Each piece is handmade by a skilled technician, and this makes the unit well-made and long lasting. With proper care and maintenance, your uke will be around for a very long time.
- Diverse selection of sizes – A player can choose from soprano, tenor, concert or baritone size.
- High quality strings – The brand use high quality strings as standard. None of the cheap rubbish found on budget ukes. So great sounds are always achieved when playing this instrument (in the right hands of course!).
One thing that is striking is the overall beauty of these instruments…
Here’s our video review of the 10-CM
Overview of Manufacture
Different models of Cordoba ukuleles have varying sizes and weights. But the typical weight of a ukulele can range anywhere from 4 to 6 pounds. The wood materials used for these ukes include koa, mahogany, rosewood, bamboo and other types of wood that are suitable for guitar playing instruments.
The most popular types are those with cutaway designs on the body. This functionality allows the player to reach the uppermost frets on the guitar without placing the fingers in uncomfortable positions. It therefore reduces the hand fatigue that can be typically experienced when playing this type of instrument, while delivering clear-sounding tones from the device as well.
Cordoba Ukulele: The Pros…
- Great workmanship – A Cordoba ukulele is made of solid wood and especially handcrafted by skilled craftsmen. Therefore, your uke will be a unique one.
- Flexible playability features – They can be played either plugged (electric) or unplugged (acoustic). They are, of course, immediately playable right out of the box.
- Reasonable price – Because of the wide range of ukes available from this brand, you can choose the particular model that suits your taste and budget.
- Versatile – Soprano, Concert, Tenor and Baritones are all available from this brand.
… and The Cons
- A slightly pricier range of ukuleles for the beginner, compared to some other brands. You might consider a cheaper brand if you are not sure the uke is for you.
- If you search the internet, you will find that these generally have good reviews. Some customers complained that they didn’t receive a free gig bag with their uke. Note that not all models come with this free protective bag. So check the specifications on the particular model that you intend to purchase before placing your final order.
How Much Should You Expect to Pay?
The prices of Cordoba ukuleles can be anywhere from $100 to $400. There are many models to suit all buyers…Chose whatever suits your needs and your pocket! We review the popular 15CM model here. And the Tenor acoustic electric version, the 20TM-CE here.
Some sellers will include free shipping and handling. Have a look at the range on amazon.
If you are after cheaper, but generally lower quality alternatives, have a look at Kala or Lanikai.
What Customers are Saying
Most models get consistently great reviews from buyers on amazon. Here are some of the customer reports that you will find on the site:
- “This is an outstanding buy! The uke shows all the trademarks of being handmade by a skilled artisan – beautiful wood and finish. Strings were perfectly installed and the electronics are great.”
- “The playing action is effortless. Does everything well – strumming is a breeze and fingerstyle the tonal qualities are accentuated.”
- “I’m very happy with this instrument, you won’t be disappointed.”
We highly recommend the wide range of ukuleles from the Cordoba brand, if you want a great instrument and your budget allows. All levels of players can find something to suit from the wide selection offered by this company. These instruments are carefully made with high quality materials in the hands of experts.
Choose the particular model and design that will suit your musical (and budgetary) needs! See more here on the cordoba ukuleles range on amazon.