Here’s a list of the current best selling ukuleles on amazon (as of July 2012). Why are they best sellers? What do buyers like so much about them? Any models to avoid? We’ll take a quick look:
1. The Lanikai LU-21 Soprano. Top of the heap, this quality stylish little unit is a great beginner ukulele. It gives a great sounding, quality instrument at a very reasonable price (currently just under $60). See it here on amazon, or read more on what we think of the Lanikai LU-21.
2. Makala MK-S Soprano Ukulele. Next up is this budget offering from the Kala brand. As a Kala, you know you are getting quality, but you may want to upgrade the strings on this model. Costs around $40 right now on amazon, here. Read more details on the Makala MK-S Soprano here.
3. Lanikai LU-11 Soprano Uke. A slightly cheaper alternative to the LU-21 model, this ukulele is very highly rated for beginners. Not just as high quality as the LU-21 but still a worthy contender. See our review here.
4. Kala KA-15S Mahogany Soprano Model. It’s a Kala! What more can we say. Perfect brand for those starting out, who want a lovely sounding uke without digging too deep into their pockets.
5. Rogue Ukulele Starter Pack. Very cheap, but for a reason. We wouldn’t recommend this, since for the same price you can do better, e.g. the Mahalo…
6. Mahalo U-30 Soprano Ukulele. Cheap and definitely cheerful. Available in a huge range of cool colors. Great for kids and the young at heart who don’t want to spend much on a uke. A great way to find out if the instrument is for you. Doesn’t play as well as say the Lanikai LU-21 or Kala KA, but at $20 what would you expect? Read more on what we think of the Mahalo here or see what buyers think of it on amazon.
7. Kala KA-S Mahogany Soprano. Reviewers love this ukulele. It currently sells at just over $60, a great price for a fine instrument. Again, it is highly recommended for beginners who want more than a real basic model. Read more about our thoughts on the Kala KA-S here.
8. Savannah Color Ukulele. Like the Rogue starter pack , it doesn’t come recommended. Just not worth spending $30 on when there are better alternatives for less (the Mahalo) or much better for slightly more (the Lanikai, Kala or Makalas).
9. Lanikai LU-21C Concert Ukulele. The concert size LU-21 is much the same as it’s top selling brother soprano. As a concert size, this is slightly larger and may be ideal for those with slightly larger hands, or those that find the soprano size ukes to be too fiddly. We review the LU-21C here. The lanikai LU-21C is currently available for $99 at amazon.
10. Kala KA-C Mahogany Concert Ukulele. Last, but not least, another concert sized model. We’ve written about the features of the KA-C Uke here. Buyers love it!!! It has a 4.9 rating so just go to the reviews on amazon to see what the fuss is about.
Here’s a video summary of the chart!
Best Selling Ukuleles Summary
So there you have it folks. A list of the best sellers. Many of these are ideal for beginners. Of course, if you want the very best uke you’ll have to shell out a lot more than any of these cost. But if you are starting out, there should be no need to spend 100′s of dollars. Got any opinions on this list? Let us know!